This might be my favorite dish in the world. No lie.
To me, it tastes like childhood. Like my gramma just pulled it out of the fridge in her Long Beach, CA home to surprise us after a summer vacation lunch. And now, years after her death, it tastes exactly the same as it did back then. Sweet and cool, and full of her love.
It has become a staple on my own holiday table, and our Arizona family have all fallen in love with it. Perfect as a light dessert (or as a side dish in an elaborate meal) I dare anyone to try this and not be head over heels.
Strawberry Nut Salad Ingredients:
- 2 packages strawberry-flavored gelatin (I use strawberry Jello)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 10-oz cans crushed pineapple, drained
- 3 medium bananas, mashed
- 1 cup coarsely chopped nuts
- 2 boxes frozen strawberries, thawed
- 1 pint commercial sour cream
1. In large kettle, combine gelatin with boiling water, stirring until gelatin is dissolved. Then fold in, all at once, strawberries with juice, drained pineapple, bananas and nuts.
2. Turn half of mixture into 12″ x 8″ x 2″ baking dish as first layer. Refrigerate until firm – about an hour and a half – evenly spread top with sour cream. Gently spoon on rest of strawberry mixture – refrigerate.